Welcome to IA-BIRD, the e-mail discussion list for anyone interested in Iowa birds -- where to find them and how to keep them here. By subscribing to IA-BIRD, you will be able to:
- share information about bird sightings in Iowa and nearby areas
- learn (and ask) about places to look for birds in Iowa
- discuss and debate the occurrence, distribution, identification,
- ecology, and conservation of Iowa birds
MEMBERS: When you join for the first time, by clicking on the JOIN IA-BIRD button
below, you will be asked for a password to complete the process so that we can avoid
some of the spam that is generated by lists. Please use the word in this graphic.
Please note that the list and the rest of the website are run on different servers
and security is sometimes confusing. The two pieces do not talk to each other.
You may certainly use the same e-mail and password for both; just be aware that
you will need to enter them in both places.
If you change your e-mail address, simply login with your old one and change your settings
to the new one. If you have forgotten your listserv password, you may request it
at the bottom of the page. When all else fails, contact us for some help.
Managing your account is simple. Start by just logging in with your e-mail and, if you set one when you created your account, your password. You should then see the following options.
Once you are logged in you have options to post or read messages as well as
unsubscribe or change your settings such as your e-mail, password, and even how
you receive messages (status). Note that in the example below the account stays
active but has been set to nomail temporarily to avoid filling my mailbox while
I am traveling. When I return home I can easily turn the message feature back
on and resume getting messages. Be sure to save your changes!
- Topics should primarily relate to birds & birding in Iowa; good sightings from
neighboring states are appropriate and members may wish to request non-Iowa information
to be replied to off-list.
- Share your sightings! If you take from the list; respond to the list - this
medium only works when we all participate.
- If your sensibilities are offended by a particular topic, use your delete key.
Use the web interface here or set your e-mail program to send messages as text only.
- Watch the cap-lock on your computer. All capital letters indicates screaming
- Sign your post with your full name and town/county; this gives everyone a point of reference
for your bird sightings and might even hook you up with a new birding buddy.
- Please, no attachments. Some subscribers receive the digest
version and attachments come through as pages of gibberish. If you have a
photo, please use the IOU Photo Gallery.
- No flames! The moderator reserves the right to call for a halt to discussion
of a particular toxic subject if civility goes south. Abusers may have their
posting privileges revoked.
- Enjoy our little community of Iowa birders!